About the Writing Center
The Writing Center is available to offer help with your writing. You may drop in to get help but appointments are recommended to ensure a consultant is available.
Comprehensive Writing Strategies
Student Tailored Peer Tutoring
ESL-Related Writing Tutoring
Writing Workshops for Students and Faculty
Other Writing-Related Events
For more information about tutoring and writing resources, please visit your campus writing center webpage.
UConn Library Resources
UConn Library Resources
Style Guides & Writing Resources
- Purdue Writing Online (OWL): http://owl.english.purdue.edu/
- APA style guide: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
- MLA style guide: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/
- American Heritage Dictionary: http://www.bartleby.com/61/
- Resources for Writers: http://writingcenters.org/resources/resources-for-writers/
- Research and documentation help. Learn not only how to find sources in the humanities, social sciences, history, and the sciences but also how to document them accurately (includes MLA, APA, Chicago, and CSE formats).
- Writing College Papers - This LibGuide helps students write effective college papers, essay exams, and paragraphs and is hosted at Anne Arundel Community College.
- Writing 138: Introduction to Writing in the University (Cornell University)
- Writing 142: Writing and Research (Cornell University)
Grammar & Punctuation
- Grammar Resources from The University of Chicago Writing Program: http://writing-program.uchicago.edu/resources/grammar.htm#grammar
- Guide to Grammar and Style: http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/
- Common Errors in English: http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors
- Elements of Style: http://www.bartleby.com/141/
- Check out the University of Minnesota Style Guide's "Misused Words and Expressions," "Words Pronounced or Spelled Similarly, but Different in Meaning," and "Made-up Words and Words in Vogue".
- Gary A. Olson's "Punctuation Made Simple" covers the basics in an easy-to-read format.
- "Punctuation," the University of Ottawa's user-friendly outline of everything you ever wanted to know about commas, semicolons, colons, quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes, with examples and review quizzes.
- "Clear, Concise and Direct Sentences," a succinct guide to improving your writing from The Writing Center at the University of Wisconsin